Sunday, December 11, 2011

Matt Guzik: Living Life to the Fullest ‘Extraordinaire’

One of my favorite fables of all time as stated by Ancient Greek Writer Aesop (620-560 BCE) “A man is known by the company he keeps," causes me to subconsciously decide whether an individual comes or goes in my life. I adhere to this fable through the continually evolving process of trying to find and keep successful and motivated individuals in my life which through mere interaction causes me to push myself towards higher levels of achievements than days prior. One of the founders of motivational literature, Napoleon Hill, said this belief so well in his timeless classic when he wrote "We emulate those with whom we associate most closely." It is my hope this article serves as an important reminder to us all of Aesop’s fable as well as an opportunity to see how one man has made a difference on his journey as a “Living Life to the Fullest Extraordinaire.”


In early July 2011 I had the pleasure of being invited to travel to Montana for some golf, relaxation, breath-taking scenery, lots of laughs from stories I won't soon forget. Although I had previously met the individual we were traveling to see, Matt Guzik, I was unaware at the time of how impactful this trip would prove to be.


Over the past few months my professional and personal relationship with Matt has grown as well as my admiration for him as individual and a leader! As I sat in a room full of the country’s top leaders in the private club industry this past November I was intently listening to Matt tell his story when my thoughts came full circle and I quietly said to myself, "My God, what hasn’t this guy accomplished." From running twelve marathons in twelve months to raising over 1.25 million dollars for charities ( just to name a few of his achievements), let Matt’s list of accomplishments serve us as a reminder that we are only as extraordinary as we chose to be!
I respect and admire Matt substantially; so much so I feel it’s my duty to share his recent article, 7 Continental Characteristics of Leaders with you (recently featured in October's issue of Board Room Magazine). I'm very proud to say I have an association with Matt Guzik. I'm very proud to be known by the company I keep.


Visit Matt's website to read other articles and hear more about all he's achieved thus far: www.dutri26.com


“Here’s to another crummy day in the Bitterroots!” Enjoy. Be inspired.


 7 Continental Characteristics of Leaders



While reflecting upon my running career I realized that during the last fifteen years of training and running I have run fifty-six marathons, competed in 3 long course Ironman’s including the Ironman Championship in Kona Hawaii in 2003 and have logged enough miles to have run around the world (27,000 miles). Additionally, I have raised over $1,250,000 for charities, worn out 77 pairs of running shoes, have had hernia and knee surgery, four visits to the medical tents for I.V.s, 150 massages, 90 chiropractic visits, raced in 39 cities in 17 states, in 9 countries on seven continents.
I have also come to realize that there are certain characteristics that leaders and runners share in order to be successful. 


Athens, Greece, Europe
Sense of Purpose.
This is where it all started. In 490 B.C., the soldier Pheidippides
 ran from a battlefield at the site of the town of Marathon, Greece, to Athens, bringing news of a Greek victory over the Persians. Legend has it that Pheidippides delivered the momentous message, “Niki!” (“Victory”), then collapsed and died, thereby setting a precedent for dramatic conclusions to the marathon. When the modern Olympic Games were inaugurated in 1896, the marathon revived and commemorated the legendary 24.85 mile run. The marathon is traditionally the final event in the Olympics, and this marathon was especially important to all Greeks since they were hosting those first modern Olympic Games and had yet to win a medal.  They had one final chance to bring glory to their nation.  When it was all over nine of the twenty-five runners finished, 8 of them Greeks.  The host nation was ecstatic, and the marathon was born on April 10, 1896.


Successful club leaders today know that a “sense of purpose” is the foundation for an individual leader's ability to inspire and influence an organization's members. More than just giving direction or defining goals and expectations for an organization, living one's sense of purpose can generate passion and energy and can lead to creative identification of new possibilities. A sense of purpose gives direction, defines goals and expectations for an organization, generates passion and energy, and leads to creative identification of new possibilities.
Each leader develops his sense of purpose throughout life using all his past experiences.  Reflecting on these experiences can help a leader to solidify his priorities and define his personal mission and purpose. With a personal sense of purpose in place, he will be prepared to lead others more effectively.


Phoenix, Arizona, North America
Establishing Clear Goals.
I started running for many of the same reasons others do...to shed a few pounds, release some stress, and satisfy the desire for some personal time. In January, 1994, as a beginner, I participated in my first marathon in Phoenix.   As I continued to run marathons, I continually changed my goals.  Whether it was to qualify for Boston, run sub-three marathon, (6:52 minute per mile pace) run back to back marathons or run 12 marathons in 12 months for 12 causes - I had a set goal.  Successful leaders also need to establish short and long term goals for themselves and their professions.  Remember, in goal setting, use the S.M.A.R.T. criteria to make a Change:
S - Specific:
M - Measurable:
A - Attainable:
R - Realistic:
T – Time Based :
 Every winner has a game plan.  Sit down and set your goals, write them out, figure out a training schedule and have the discipline to follow through.  Remember, “One of the appeals of an endurance sport is that you can overcome a lack of natural ability…considered by many to be the most essential ingredient of success”… with goal setting, discipline, dedication and training. 


Saint George Island, Antarctica
Integrity.
 I don’t think there is a more beautiful place in the world than Antarctica.  No place on earth compares to this vast, white wilderness, distilled to an elemental haiku: snow, ice, water, rock. Antarctica is simply stunning. The enormity of its ice shelves and mountain ranges invariably heightens feelings of humanity’s insignificance and nature’s grandeur. Antarctica’s peculiar beauty may haunt you for the rest of your days.  Ice and weather, not clocks or calendars, determine the itinerary and the timetable of all who travel here. 
An international treaty signed by 46 countries, representing the large majority of the world’s population, governs Antarctica. The continent, the treaty parties concur, is too large and important to belong to just one country. They further agree that Antarctica, unique among the world’s landmasses, should remain a peaceful, free and demilitarized place of international cooperation and scientific research, open to all, with a minimum of human development.
It was here that I learned that as a leader you must address each issue in your life with this mantra “Respect for self; Respect for others and Responsibility for all your actions. 


Wanaka, South Island, New Zealand
Risk Taking/Going Outside your Comfort Zone.
New Zealand is a country of stunning and diverse natural beauty: Soaring mountain peaks, fjords, lakes, rivers, and active volcanic features. The islands are inhabited many species of unique fauna, including the elusive kiwi, which has become the national symbol.
The Motatapu Marathon is an off road marathon.  This course runs through the iconic Motatapu Station, Soho and Glencoe stations starting in Wanaka and finishing in historic Arrowtown.  This is a route that is open to the public only once a year.   This was my first trail marathon were we cross water in the way of creeks, streams and rivers 27 times.  In addition to the water crossings there are numerous hills to climb as well as other challenges to overcome all taking in spectacular views of the southern high country.  After the race, my son Billy and I drove to the Kawarau Bridge just outside of Queenstown, where I for the first time, Bunge jumped 43 meters into the river. Now that’s getting out of your comfort zone.     
Successful leaders know that getting out of your comfort zone is a great way to push your limits. Pushing yourself will make you stronger, not just physically, but mentally and you'll go back to your old workouts with a fresh perspective and a new appreciation for how strong you really are.


Moshi, Tanzania, (MT. Kilimanjaro) Africa
Adversity.
 I believe successful leaders in this world have dealt with adversity at some point in their lives.  My adversity came in the form of a routine knee surgery gone bad 6months before my daughter, Tiffany and I were to run a marathon in Moshe and then climb MT Kilimanjaro. After spending 10 days in the hospital I was released only to spend the next 6 weeks in PT every day.  They lymph-drained my knee 3 times a week and put me through an incredibly hard and painful strength and recovery program.  I can’t tell you how many times I cried in that office because of the pain and the realization that my dream to run a marathon with my daughter and then climb Mt. Kilimanjaro seemed lost.
Moshe, Tanzania Race day:
I must admit I was pleasantly surprised as I finished the first mile, then 5k (3.1 miles) then 10k (6.2 miles). While I was in a little discomfort I still felt good, so I continued. Soon 10k became 20k, 20k became 30k, and 30k became 40k and I finished the 42.2 (26.2 miles) with a respectable time of 3:39. 
Mount Kilimanjaro, Summit Day:
Today, Mount Kilimanjaro is not so friendly while some were heading up to summit , others need to get down because of altitude sickness. Tiffany is struggling; at 4:30am she stops and vomits. She is very sleepy and a bit unresponsive however, she wants to continue. By 5:00am altitude sickness has taken its toll and we are at approximately 18,000 feet. She’s cold, lethargic, aching from top to bottom and has a headache. She must return to Kibo and get off the mountain immediately.
We embrace; she is crying and asks if I’m disappointed in her? I let her know I’m not disappointed and then we say our emotional “good byes”. Innocent and Alex, our guides, want us both to stop crying because if it will only make things worse. I guess when you cry, you hold or stop your breathing, and at half the oxygen already asphyxiation and fainting occur. 
As I continued to climb, my goal now was to climb for the both of us. It was by far one of the most difficult things I’ve done. As I continued to think about Tiffany my eyes would swell, tears would fall and yes, I’d deplete myself of more oxygen. Thus I would get dizzy and lose my focus as well as my footing. For a time now all I could do is “focus” and follow Innocent’s lead. When he put his left foot forward, I would put my left foot forward, then right and so on. Step, breathe, breathe.
At 5:45 am we were at Gillman’s Point. I continued till Stella’s Point and pause to watch the sunrise. It was glorious, breathtaking, spectacular and the most incredible experience in my life.  From there it was to Uhura Peak 19,341. I am sure that each person who reaches the summit would describe their experience differently. For me tears came to my eyes, a new perspective of life was born and I needed to be very silent and be with my inner self.
Every trial endured and weathered in the right spirit makes a soul nobler and stronger than it was before.” — James Buckham
Every successful leader grows from adversity.


Singapore, China
Balance.
Balance is the basis of the 2,000 year-old philosophy known as Taoism, whose principles describe the pattern and flow of energy that occurs in the natural world as well as in people, relationships, institutions, and nations.  The idea that an organization functions as a unified whole, and a change in one part results in a corresponding change in the whole system as it adjusts to regain balance is an extension of this theory.
Yoga is a simple tool to achieve balance in your mind, your body, and your life. Practicing yoga balances the entire nervous system and also energizes and relaxes the body simultaneously. For the true benefits of yoga to take place, both sides of the brain need to be worked out. That is why a lot of the yoga poses concentrate on training and using both sides of the body.
Standing poses are really good for rebalancing as our bodies tend to rely on the stronger and more dominate side. You can learn how to straighten that other side up so it will match the stronger side. Uneven bodies eventually lead to chronic illnesses and injuries through over- compensation of one side. 
Basically it comes down to retraining the mind, and yoga is the great leveler. You will learn to use both parts of your brain more effectively therefore tuning and realigning everything to work far better than ever before. It will benefit all aspects in your life, especially if you are the ambitious sports type that likes to get the most out of it that they can.
Successful leaders show today because they make a point of balancing their personal lives as well as professional lives.  They’ve learned to balance work, family and are balanced emotionally, physically, spiritually, intellectually and mentally .


Port of Spain, Trinidad, South America
Celebration and appreciation.
Successful leaders know that accomplishing goals is one of the most gratifying experiences in the goal setting process. It is what all activities and all energy are focused upon: getting the desired result. After all this time working on this goal, alone or in a team, and after overcoming all kinds of unexpected obstacles it has at last produced a result. Success!
So what do you do when you reached your desired end-result? You celebrate! You won! Go buy yourself a gift, get a tattoo, climb a mountain, Bungee jump off a bridge, Ski-Dive out of a plane, go Scuba diving, Tango in Argentina, visit wine country, swim with the dolphins (or penguins), eat fresh lobster, tell everybody around you, get a massage, throw a party, GO to Disneyland…believe me I did them all.  Get it?
Successful leaders take time to celebrate every checkpoint and milestone reached.
Matt Guzik CCM is the General Manager of the Stock Farm Club in Hamilton, Montana.  He is a personal trainer, motivational speaker and can be reached at: www.dutri26.com




Kyle’s Kicker: Regardless of right or wrong we will be judged by the company we keep. Therefore, the responsibility rests solely upon us as controllers of our own destiny to choose our friends and associates wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment